Thursday, July 09, 2009

Judge this book by its cover!



I wanted to share this with people. My daughter Holly is pretty awesome to have learned how to do this by experimenting and asking and getting better and better over the years.

Technically and artistically, the cover is a cousin of Learn Nothing Day's logo, also a Holly-Dodd beautification of some Sandra-Dodd pencil-and-ink stuff.


The yellow, other than just being sunny and happy, is intended to go with Moving a Puddle, which has mostly yellow cover and yellow spine.

The most important thing...
The cover is more finished than the book. She'll have the back cover done within a few days and then it's back to me. I have 298 pages and still working on quoting or summarizing a page (or two or three) to represent every major page of my unschooling site. Still working on getting stuff in there. And I want an index, so that will take a bit.

The first people to get the book will be those who pre-order it along with (or on the side of) a registration for the Good Vibrations Conference. The next people to get it will be those who buy it in person at that conference in San Diego. As a benefit of attending Flo Gascon's exciting conference, they will get the book for less than anyone will ever get it again.

The rest of you can order copies for $25 plus shipping around September 14, when I'm home from the conference.

It might seem a long way off, but it's just right for saving up $25 and some shipping, probably two and half bucks book rate or $5 priority, in the U.S., and $11 or $13 priority for Canada and Europe, respectively, unless the rates go up by then, and I can't guarantee anything, not even that I'll live to finish the book, but still the cover is great! (Oh yeah.... If I don't live, get Keith to upload the unfinished file and people can fill in the parts I left sketchy. It could be an unschooling workbook!! )

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

Very cool!
I sure hope you live to finish the book and beyond :)

Flo said...

It's beautiful! Thank you for adding so much value to the conference. I can't wait to see you and get my hands on that book!

Sandra Dodd said...

Flo, it won't happen in that order. I'll ship the books to you at your house or the hotel, and then I'll mosey on out there later. Cool, huh? You can stash the first one you see.

Thanks for the hopes, Stephanie. I realized after I posted it that it sounded more morbid than usual, but I didn't want to say "woohoo, BOOK!" when it was really "woohoo, bookCOVER! (and 2/3 of a book)".

Heather's Moving Castle said...

Looks awesome. I bet Holly will tweak it more. I love the bird skull. Looks familiar? Is it the skull you sent to Iowa? If it is we have it. Nice ebay item.

Happy writing!!!

Sandra Dodd said...

That is indeed your bird skull!

Heather said...

Love it! It's perfect!

Tammy said...

Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of your book!

denise said...

Love the cover! Can't wait. :)

Lori said...

I have no doubt that you, and the book, will be finished when you are supposed to be [G]! Love the sunny yellow ... and how special that your unschooled child helped design it.