Sunday, February 15, 2015

Chicken and Walnuts in Pita

There's one recipe I make a couple of times a year, and my cookbook is wearing out, and Destiny wants the recipe, so I'm putting it where I can find it again myself.

3 to 4 Tbsp milk
8 oz. cream cheese, softened

Add milk to cream cheese; mix until creamy.

1/3 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp grated onion
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp thyme

Add remaining ingredients except sprouts.

alfalfa sprouts
pita bread that can be opened up

Cut pita bread into halves or quarters; add filling.
Top generously with the alfalfa sprouts.



These can be made the night before.

I don't like green peppers so I leave them out, and use green onions instead.

Usually I put the walnuts in the food processor and leave them rough, but not big pieces.

I boil the chicken before, and work with it cold. (Usually chicken tenders from Costco.)

NOTE ADDED in February 2016: Though it's not necessary, the last few times I've made it, I have put the cold chicken in a food processor with the walnuts—and chop it to small bits. So when it's in with the cream cheese, it's more like a chicken spread than like chicken salad. Depending how people feel about the textures, plain chopping would be good, or food-processor.

The title is in print, but a newer edition and I don't know if this recipe is still there.


Whole Foods for the Whole Family: La Leche League International Cookbook. My edition was from the 1980's. I don't think it's still in print, but you can find used copies. This recipe was the best part for me, anyway.

Commercial alfalfa sprouts are harder to find, so I've started making my own. Sometimes I've made my own pita bread, but usually I buy it and cut it in half or quarters. With own-made, it's easier to make bigger or smaller or assorted sizes. :-)


The photos are from 2016, and were added here in 2022. I had put them here on facebook

No comments: